<span class="highlight">Dubbo</span> Zoo!

Submitted: Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 10:45
ThreadID: 62932 Views:4231 Replies:13 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all ,I have just been informed by the better half that we are going to Dubbo Zoo ,we are looking at leaving at 1pm on Friday and will be coming back Sunday afternoon ,we would like to know if anyone has been of late as we have been told to be careful with accommodation apparently there are some areas were we would be best to avoid due to some riff raff ,well that happens in allot of places I know but I thought I would ask you guys anyway so please if there is any advice out there that you would like to share even about the Zoo I.E hire bikes or walk? I'm all ears .!! Regards J.B.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Waynepd (NSW) - Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 11:04

Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 11:04
Hi Johnny Boy,
Its been a few years (about 5) but i went with my kids and had a ball doing breakfast with the animals. it was July and freezing but hey it's all fun.

I stayed at the (Big 4??) Caravan Park which is right near the Zoo. Met up with a member from here and went to dinner at the Railway Club. The Caravan Park has a secure fence around it and we had no trouble with the locals.

I was told that the trouble-makers were in another part of town and were no more than a few disgruntled youths letting off steam.
AnswerID: 332092

Follow Up By: jskogsta - Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 11:28

Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 11:28
We were there in May and we stayed at the Formule 1 in one of their family rooms. Have a double bed, one single bed and a bunk bed... which I think was $79 or something. Found it good value for money and had no problems. Area was partially fenced off, though people could in theory walk through the car park... but had no incidents or any issues there. If we pass through again, we'll consider it again.

The zoon is great... ;-) Bring your bbq and supplies... plenty of sites to have a good meal. We'll be going back .. and have breakfast with the animals ..

We were thinking of doing the sleepover at the zoo as well, but at the price (>600 for all of us) we found that to be too high and out of budget...

Enjoy..
Portaled 79 series with rego VALHAL. Selcal 1510 VKS. Nissan 4x4 Club of Victoria & Trakmaster Owners Club.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 599932

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 11:32

Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 11:32
We've stayed at the big 4, and it is close to the zoo. :-)

Be aware that a big fence doesn't guarantee absolute security.....a vehicle near us (30m away) had its window smashed in and their possessions stolen. No-one saw or heard a thing.

A quick drive past each of the caravan parks will give you some indication of their nature IMO.......

Andrew
FollowupID: 599934

Reply By: jskogsta - Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 11:29

Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 11:29
Btw; here's the link to Formule 1: Formule 1
Portaled 79 series with rego VALHAL. Selcal 1510 VKS. Nissan 4x4 Club of Victoria & Trakmaster Owners Club.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 332101

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 11:39

Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 11:39
Leave nothing in your car... NOTHING..

some areas? yes, from 10klms outside dubbo, to 10klms the other side in all directions... LMAO...
AnswerID: 332103

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 15:07

Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 15:07
Totally aggree with Truckster. We stayed in the middle of town and had nothing visible in car but the low life scum still decided to break into it. What was an enjoyable weekend turned to a pi s s ed off one and costing me an extra $550 in excess to have door fixed.The zoo was great and as mentioned above definately do the early morning feed. Just stay at least 10k outside from town to try and avoid your vehicle getting damaged. I reported to cops and they said they were having heaps of trouble in town. Shame because its a nice town and some of our family use to live there years ago. WHG
FollowupID: 599978

Reply By: John Davies - Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 11:41

Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 11:41
Stay at Westview caravan Park just out of town for two nights during June/July school holidays. Had no problems and was cheaper than Big 4.

Regards

John D
AnswerID: 332104

Reply By: Kiwi & "Grenade" - Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 12:55

Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 12:55
cannt remember the name of the caravan park but it was only a few km from the zoo....it was pretty good....

as for hiring bikes...we hired one with a kid seat and one with a capoose (i think thats what they called it - the kid in a seat thats a trailer thing...) was really good with time of hiring...didnt HAVE to have it back by the certain time....

bikes were fantastic way of getting around...stuff walking!! I think it was about $45 to hire the bikes all up (i stress - I THINK...) for a few hours.....had a blast....

try to get to see them feeding the african wild dogs...they are nuts!!
AnswerID: 332116

Reply By: deserter - Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 13:20

Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 13:20
Is your van self contained? If so - get in touch with Red Earth Winery. They will let you stay on the Estate - if you buy a bottle of wine. Couple k from town and safe as.

We just drove around. Drive from spot to spot then get out and walk each individually. Most important - get there as they open. The animals all bed down once it warms up. Your ticket allows re-entry so you can go for the first couple and the last couple hours if you wish.
AnswerID: 332126

Reply By: D200Dug- Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 19:48

Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 19:48
Do the early morning walk before the main zoo opens. well worth the money and effort.

Take LOTS of fly spray the biomass of flys was greater than the biomass of animals when we visited !
AnswerID: 332191

Reply By: Saharaman (aka Geepeem) - Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 20:18

Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 20:18
We visited earlier this year and stayed at the Country Comfort motel - no problems with safety as vehicle was under cover.
One thing we didnt realize in time was your entry to the zoo covers more than 24 hrs. We arrived at lunchtime but didnt go until the next morning as we thought it would be a daily entry fee. But we could have gone in afternoon and next day all for the same price.
We drove around a few hundred metres at a time so we had our esky and had a cuppa whenever we felt like it. Plenty of little places to sit and have a break. But bikes would be good as well.
Very enjoyable time and can easily spent more than 1 day there - feedtimes are good.
Only downside was I was amazed at the standrad of some of the enclosures - the wild dog enclosure was full of Khaki Burr - I felt sorry for the dogs who had to continually walk on these treacherous prickles - they can cause infections in the pads of dogs. I hope they have cleaned this pest out by now
Image Could Not Be Found

Im sure you will have a great time.
AnswerID: 332203

Reply By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 20:27

Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 20:27
We were there two years ago, and stayed at a caravan park in the middle of Dubbo..... it was something of an error 'cos we were meant to be at the one that's a couple of k's from the zoo.
Had no drama's though....

We did the "Roar'N'Snore" overnight program...... fantastic!!!! well worth the $$ IMHO!!!!!
If you're not doing the "Roar'N'Snore", make sure you get there early.... try to get the early morning feeding walk... it is well worth it!

Cheers

Brian
AnswerID: 332205

Reply By: Middle Jeff - Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 20:56

Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 20:56
Hi Johnny

I have stayed at Wellington Caves CP when we go there, not because of problems in Dubbo but just because it is nice. It is a little easier to get to and an easy drive to the zoo in the morning.

The caves are worth a visit as well, and the park is quiet and very pretty overlooking a golf course.

Have fun
Craig
AnswerID: 332221

Reply By: didiaust - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2008 at 04:07

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2008 at 04:07
We stayed at the Quality Inn- next to Golf course and so close to the zoo.

Great motel as the family room ( 2b/rs) also had a 2 doors - one opened up to a nice shady verandah and a great grassy lawn.

AnswerID: 332282

Reply By: Fi - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2008 at 17:10

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2008 at 17:10
Hi JB, We visited 2 years ago with 3 young children and went on the breakfast walk tour which was fantastic. Highly recommended. We also stayed at the Big 4, we had no problems but make sure you have nothing in your car as was strongly suggested to us. Have Fun!
AnswerID: 332369

Reply By: just goin - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2008 at 19:28

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2008 at 19:28
Hi Johnny boy,
Was out there about 6 months ago and stayed at the country comfort motor inn. All i can recomend is to ring he zoo and ask to see what displays are open. Id say 1/4 of them were closed for some reason or another when we visited. Also if you dont do the breakfast walk, dont rush in as soon as the gates open ( another mistake on our part ) as they feed the animals and that takes place at the back of the enclosure. The kids still had a ball. We just drove our car around and let the kids have a sit on my lap when there were noother veicles around. We found the bikes and golf buggies $y. The kids also loved the old dubbo gaol in the main street.As for the locals we were told not to do much after dark in the main part of town and we had no trouble. Hope you have a good weekend.
Cheers

Just Goin
AnswerID: 332388

Sponsored Links